Saturday 26 November 2011

Nebraska - The Fox, Lewisham - 22nd Oct 2011

On the 23rd January 2009, south London legends Nebraska played what many argued was their best ever gig. A fantastic line up of Dexy (joined onstage by Seymour of Ten City Nation & Miss Black America fame) and London indie darlings The Understudies topped with a storming performance by Nebraska made for an exhilarating night.

I had barely recovered from my hangover, before Michael was ringing me to tell me it was all over. I remember standing in my kitchen as he called to explain that the band had decided to call it a day.

It came as something of a shock, given they were at the top of their game, but then maybe the highpoint is the best place to stop? Anyway, lead singer Michael was recently interviewed by God Is In The TV so read all about it here.

Several months ago, and to all their fans delight, Nebraska announced they were playing a one off reunion gig, and after having to reschedule, they finally made it back on stage at The Fox on the 22nd October. It turned out to be a joyous reunion of band and fans and friends. This band are important to me, not only musically, but because they became very good friends and because of them, I met not only people who have become some of my best friends, but also my boyfriend. 

I wasn't on official photo duty (having dashed from a wedding to make it just in time for their headlining set) but of course, I had my camera with me and couldn't resist a few shots. The rest of the time I spent 'singing' along to classics like 'The Replacements'. To listen, and I really urge you do, click here.




 
For photos of the last Nebraska gig in 2009, click here.
For Dexy's set, click here.
& The Understudies are here.


No comments:

Post a Comment