Saturday 19 November 2011

Yann Tiersen - Roundhouse 20 October 2011

I was more excited than usual about this gig, not only was it my first time shooting at The Roundhouse, I got to see Lanterns On The Lake in support again. All went well until security scuttled past the long line of photographers in the pit issuing instructions about what not to do during Yann Tiersens set. We had to stay put, wherever we happened to be sitting. No changing position, no standing up. I wasn't in the best place, but it could have been worse I figured. As he performed the first of our three allotted songs in almost complete darkness, it was apparent it could get worse. In song two, the lights were on, but were a sea of awful red. The third song was better, but still, it was 15 minutes or so of really hard work to get anything useable. 

I've said it before, but if bands don't want photographers there, don't have them. If they do want shots of their gig, give us a fighting chance of getting some decent ones.

Anyway, I managed to get a couple I was happy with:




Lanterns On The Lake are high on my list of the best albums of 2011, and last time I saw them I was completely blown away. Their delicate vocals and violins were not lost in the vast surroundings of The Roundhouse either. I had a rare working-gig beer while I watched the rest of their set and thoroughly enjoyed every second.




For the full set of Photos on Ragged Words, click here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment