Sunday 11 December 2011

Yuck - Electric Ballroom 24th November 2011

I was dispatched to The Electric Ballroom by Ragged Words at the end of last month, to capture Yuck, playing their last gig of their UK tour to a sold out home crowd (the band are based in London, though two of their members hail from overseas) The 90's influenced indie pop rockers played a relatively subdued set in front of an adoring crowd & a crazy light show. I don't know, maybe they were tired from the touring, but I was somehow expecting more, how can I put it, 'pow'. The album sounds like it should produce a raucous live show Anyway, the rest of the crowd didn't seem to mind as I was deafened as much by them screaming as I was by the speakers down the front.

Yuck

Yuck

Yuck

Yuck have been ably supported on the tour by Fanzine, with whom I was very, very impressed. I love when you go to a gig and get a great support band, a new discovery, thrown in for good measure. They are on many peoples 'Ones To Watch' list for next year and that accolade is certainly deserved. My first impression is that they are kind of like a British Drive By Truckers (especially on their 'Low' EP) I'm looking forward to see what they do in 2012.

Special kudos to whoever decided on their lighting too... shooting at 800 ISO is virtually impossible at any other venue, never mind the famously dim Electric Ballroom!

Fanzine

Fanzine

Openers Old Forest looked barely old enough to drink, so I feel bad to criticize them when they are clearly still finding their feet. Musically, they sound promising, although the singers voice does them no favors in my opinion.
Old Forest

The full gallery on Ragged Words can been seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment